Monday, June 3, 2013

Daxia




Daxia is all grown up.  How fast that seems to happen sometimes.  She has been an easy baby once she figured out the bottle.  She has grown and gained weight exactly as she should.  Someone is coming to see her on Thursday and if they connect Daxia will be adopted.  If not Daxia will officially be up for adoption on Thursday.  She has gone from 306g to over 1000g.  Her motto is "No Fear" as she is not afraid of anything and loves to check things out.  She loves to sleep on my lap when I sit at the computer, funny how quickly she figures out I am on the computer.  She loves to be held now and has stopped being a busy, busy girl so she can enjoy some loving times.  Her favorite time is in the morning when she snuggles with me in bed (sometimes under the covers) for a tummy scratch.  She lays on her back with her head by mine so I can talk to her and tell her what a special girl she is.  She is a smart and lucky girl.  You can see that she has grown to love her three orange siblings that she was so put out with when they arrived. 
     I have had a huge challenge the last week.  I have taken on looking after a little baby boy for a couple who wants me to try and save little Duke. He weighed only 118 g.  Kittens are about 90-100g when they are born so Duke is very tiny for a kitten who was supposed to be 4 weeks old.  He was very frail, thin and failing.  His two siblings had already died.  He looked so forlorn that I almost cried when I first saw him.  I took him on knowing it was against the odds for him to make it but I was willing to love him all I could and do the best I could for him.  I got him on Sunday and on Monday on my way home from work all I could think is that the poor little guy would be dead when I got home.  One of the hard parts of my looking after babies is the rock that is in my stomach when I am scared of what I will find.  I burst into tears when I heard him crying as soon as I opened the door as I knew we still had a chance.  Weight gain was slow--118g, 128g, 126g, 134g, 136g, 146g, 144g, and 162g.  When he gained the 18 g I knew we had more than a faint chance that he would make it and I held him as I cried with relief and joy.  I held him for a while last night and talked to him.  He needed to know that he was loved and needed to keep fighting.  He is a bright eyed smart little boy and will break my heart when he leaves my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment