Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Panama, Pacific, Piper and Perkins

It was a short love affair.  These kittens were trapped at McNab Park where the health of a lot of the cats is not good.  I loved my four babies (they were about a month old)  for a while then they had their vet check up.  Two were feline leukemia negative and two were faintly positive.  This meant we had to wait 2 more weeks for a retest and until then they had to be kept separate from the others so no one else in my house would be at risk.  It was a long 2 weeks as the babies were kept in my spare bedroom.  I spent a lot of hours in the bedroom keeping them company.  Then came retest day which I went to with a heavy heart.  Piper had been failing for 2 days.  I kept giving him fluids but I could see he was hardly holding his own.  The test showed 2 negative tests, one slightly positive test and a very, very positive test.  I ended up leaving the babies at the vet's as I knew in my heart that things were not very good.  I called the next day to check on my babies only to find out Piper, Perkins and a tortie girl were gone.  I went to the vet's to identify the one surviving kitten.  This was hard because it hit home that 3 babies were already gone.  I gave a lot of love to Panama who looked so lonely by herself.  Panama went to another foster home where she has had health issues too.  It is a sad story.  I was glad to love those babies as long as I had as I gave my heart to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment